1. Health
Paul Rogers

Nude Gyms? Bollocks to That!

By April 13, 2007

A gym owner in the Dutch town of Heteren, 60 miles from Amsterdam, has held what is thought to be the first open nude gym session. Apparently a dozen men turned up but no women, even though some women had signed up for the sessions.

The Dutch are known for their liberal attitudes to all manner of things to do with sex and nudity, so this is no great surprise. The Dutch Federation of Naturists has 70,000 members and going 'starkers' is not exactly a novelty in certain contexts. Nude fun runs have been around for years in several countries -- then there's nude swimming, nude skydiving, nude ballet, nude skiing, nude rock climbing, and of course there's volleyball and frisbee that nudists seem to obsess over. The list goes on; but nude gym sessions? I don't think so.

Why not? Well, as I point out in my article Staying Healthy Weight Training, gyms can be hazardous places; there's lots of heavy, angled, pointy and squeezy things that you can get dangly and floppy bits caught in, squashed in, or generally mangled to within an inch of your gender integrity. And 'the microbiology of the gym environment', the subject of my upcoming doctorate, doesn't bear thinking about with all those bare bits bumming around the place, body fluids being what they are.

"So, no Hazel, I'm not coming to the nude gym today, I'm going nude fishing with the boys."

Comments
September 13, 2007 at 5:19 am
(1) . says:

The word ‘gymnasium’ comes from the greek and means ‘the place of nakedness or the place of the naked’ because all athletics and gymnastics were performed naked back in those days. Hence the term ‘gymnophobia’ – fear of nakedness.
So the Dutch enthusiasts are doing nothing new, merely complying with the true meaning of the word.

February 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(2) kookimebux says:

Hello. And Bye. :)

November 14, 2009 at 9:30 am
(3) XZandie says:

How immatyre. Dozens of nudist/naturist clube & resorts & spas in the U.S. havs gyms where clothing is optional. They are cleaner, more hygienic. more respectfuk than any gyms I have been to. And yes, they are coed, not just men. Great to see women who are comfortable with who they are, no matter what body type they have.

Most every hotel in Germany and Holland has a spa a nd fitness center. The spas are for people who are from the culture of being comfortable with one’s body and non-judgmental to others.

I shudder every time I go to an World Gym, Gold’s gym, 24 Fitness, etc. at the lack of hygiene, lack of proper traing leading to accidents, sweaty benches that are rarely cleaned by staff. Not ot mention the tension of the percentage of people who are ther to hit on others.

Grow up and do something useful with your career. And since you have no statistics to back your American derived nude-phobia, you are obviuosly not a scientist.

January 23, 2010 at 11:45 am
(4) juan says:

Whilst visiting a friend in Scotland she suggested we go and work out at her local gym. She knows that I go nude at times but was surpized I met her in the gym wearing only socks and my trainers. it caused such an out cry, I had to leave the place. She was alright with how I was dressed or not, but the prudish British were upset. There is no hazard in using the equipment, just more care is needed. We did go for a nude swim at a local pool, asking for their permission so that they were warned before hand. Had a good time even did some snorkeling in the pool.

March 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(5) juan says:

not only have wife an I gone to gym and worked out in the nude, at times when we knew we were watched (from others, or camera) we also engaged in sex work-outs just to show off ourselves. The sex was/is great by the way.

September 12, 2010 at 3:28 am
(6) Bigjack says:

Have you ever heard of gyms having trainers whom had bikinis on instead of tshirts?