The side lunge with front (anterior) raise is a "combo" exercise that works legs, and arms and shoulders together.
- Stand upright with a dumbbell in each hand at the sides.
- Take a large step to one side yet slightly out in front while you raise the dumbbells to shoulder height in front of you at the same time.
- Return to starting position, then repeat for the other side with the other leg.
- This exercise could be done with a standard forward lunge, but the side lunge provides better balance.
- Try to keep the knee from protruding beyond the tips of the toes at full lunge.
- Breathe out on exertion and in on recovery.
Image source: www.TrainerClipArt.com