If you need more general guidance on weight training, please refer to the beginner's guide.
1. How to Do the Leg Extension Exercise - Setup and Movement
- Sit on the padded seat provided. (See image.)
- Initially, select a light weight from the stack.
- Hook the feet under the bar. Adjust the bar so that it rests comfortably at the lower end of the leg.
- If the machine in your gym does not have leg length adjustment, don't use it because an uncomfortable position might cause undesirable forces in the exercise movement.
- When set, choose a weight that enables you to extend the legs straight with effort but not too much strain. Don't use this exercise to test your maximum leg strength for example.
- Hold the head steady, grip the bars firmly at each side. Brace and breathe out on exertion and in on recovery.
- Do 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions each.
2. How to Do the Leg Extension Exercise - Points to Note
- Make sure your back is pushed back firmly against the back rest, particularly at the base of the spine.
- Keep the head and neck still on the leg extension. Don't wobble forward, back or to the sides.
- Don't use very heavy weights for this exercise. Keep the load light to moderate.
- Adjust the leg bar length appropriately so that the padded bar is not too far up the shins.
- Don't do this exercise if your knees hurt during the process.